ANDRÁSSY PINCÉSZET

andrassy-logo

The Andrássy winery was founded in 1999 by the entrepreneur Jószef Szabó, and built over the cellars of the Rákóczi Mansion in Tarcal. Most of the 20 hectares are in the First Growth Szentkereszt vineyard at Bodrogkeresztúr. Its loess soils define the character of the Andrássy wines, made by winemaker László Gervald. Szent Kereszt dülo, the "Holy Cross" hill, is part of Tarcal's northern portion of the Tokaj Kopasz mountain. This vineyard existed already in 1737. At that time, the Szepes County Chamber bestowed the vineyard upon the Piarist Order. Some time before their acquisition, the Pettkó family was a prominent owner of Szent Kereszt. The name of the vineyard might refer to a cloister, which existed on the hill earlier. The name of the winery refers to the famous Count Gyula Andrássy, who was the first Hungarian prime minister following the Compromise with Austria in 1867. andrassy